When October was ending I started thinking about which books I might want to read during 2017 and I got so excited that I looked up challenges and reading lists and everything else I could find. I wrote a list of 17 books I wanted to read in 2017, I wrote down the prompts of the Around the World in 52 Books challenge and wrote down what books to read for what prompts, and I wrote a huge list of goals and resolutions.
But when December came I feel so overwhelmed, especially since I had around 10 books to read this month to finish of some series and whatnot, and starting next year with a huge reading list is just stressing me out way too much to be healthy, so I have trashed the 17 in 2017 and also the Around the World in 52 books challenge. Since I know I’ll be crazy busy for at least the first 6 months, I’ve decided to, for now, not to start any challenges.
Instead I’ve written just a couple of goals I’m going to focus on for the entire year, it’s not much but I think it will be enough, and if I feel I can take a little more, I can always add something small to complement the list.
The Goals I’ve Written for 2017 are:
- Read 40 books
- ONLY read books I own (I’m going to attempt to make my TBR bookshelf MUCH smaller)
- Read 5, buy one – Last year I did read one, buy one and it went better than expected, but since I’m attempting on emptying my TBR shelves as much as I can, I needed to go extreme on this one to keep myself from buying more books than I can read.
- Read 5 classics
- Read 5 books in Swedish
- Read a Children’s Classic
I think this should be enough, not to little not to much. But if even this becomes too overwhelming I might trash the resolutions entirely (except read what I own and read five, buy one) and just read what I feel like without any expectations at all.
This goes with the Read 5, buy one goal. There are a couple of things I’m going to focus on whenever I actually buy books during the year. Since I’ve decided that I need to read five books before I can buy one the amount of books I’m buying is really limited and reserved for a couple of the goals I have for the year.
- Finish 10 series – these are series I started in 2015 or 2016, that I know for sure I’m going to try to finish. (I’m not counting novella collections). Here’s the series I’ve started:
– The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (3 books left to buy)
– Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (3 books left)
– Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas (1 book left)
– Partials by Dan Wells
– Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
– Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
– Nattens Barn by Benni Bodker (2 books left)
– Under Vintergatans Alla Stjärnor by Camilla Davidsson ✔︎
– Red Rising by Pierce Brown (1 book left)
– Lumikki Andersson by Salla Simukka (2 books left)
– Night World by L J Smith (2 binds up left)
– Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson (1 book left)
– Moskva Noir by Camilla Grebe & Paul Leander-Engström (1 book left)
– Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard by Rick Riordan (2 books left)
- Read the Harry Potter series in English – I still need the last four books in the series.
- Read 5 books from the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge – If there are a couple of books I don’t own and can’t get from the library I’ll need to buy it/them.
- Don’t start a new series/trilogy if I can’t finish it during the year – There are a few sequels in trilogies or series I don’t have but own the first book of and might need to get if I decide to start reading them during the year, and I know there are a couple of complete duologies I could read if I want to.
Ok, so for a small announcement… I won’t be doing any TBR/WTR blog posts anymore, I want to be open to whatever book comes my way during the year. There might be a book or two I know for 150% I’m going to read one month or so, I might post a short TBR post then, but otherwise I’m just not going to.
One other thing, I want to post more review’s on my blog. So, I think I’m going to attempt to write at least 6 reviews this year.