More than half the year has gone by like it was just yesterday 2017 began. But here it is, the second half of the year, and it’s time to check in and answer som questions.
Mid-year Freak Out Tag
1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2017.
A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E Schwab
2. Best sequel you’ve read so far in 2017.
A gathering of shadows by V. E. Schwab.
3. New release you haven’t read yet, but want to.
I don’t think I can choose just one, but I can maybe narrow it down to my top 5.
- A Conjuring of light by V E Schwab
- When dimple met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
- The upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli
- A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas
- Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde
4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.
Wow, I kid you not, almost all of my most anticipated books I have on my shelf on Goodreads have already been released, and those I have left is definitely not Most anticipated. But I found one I kind of anticipate.
- The Ship of the dead by Rick Riordan
5. Biggest disappointment.
I have a couple of books to choose from, I have no idea if I could choose just one.
- Two-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt
- Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin
- This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
- Sandmannen (The Sandman) by Lars Kepler
- The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
6. Biggest surprise.
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. It had such an impact on me, I still think about it even though it’s been almost 2 months since I read it, in a good way I should also say.
7. Favourite new author (debut or new to you).
V. E. Schwab, for sure. I’ve read 3 books of hers this year and she has sure become my new favorite author.
8. Newest fictional crush.
Kell from the Darker Shades of Magic Trilogy by V E Schwab.
9. Newest favourite character.
Alucard from a Conjuring of Light by V E Schwab. He is such a character, I loved him from the very beginning.
10. Book that made you cry.
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. I cried like nobodys business through some of the things that happened throughout the book, especially in the end.
11. Book that made you happy.
Änglarna dansar i gryningen by Camilla Davidsson. It was such a feel-good story, and I have loved the previous books in the series just as much.
12. Favorite book to film adaptation you saw this year.
Beauty and the Beast, though I haven’t read the story.
13. Favorite review you’ve written this year.
I haven’t written even one this year, sad but true.
14. Most beautiful book you’ve bought this year so far (or received).
I actually think most of my books are beautiful, I can’t choose just one, but 90% of them are just so beautiful 😛
15. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
There are many of them I need to read before the year is over, I hope I even get to a couple of them. I can’t even list them all but I’ll list a couple I know I’ll get too, and there’s the list of my most anticipated books, also.
- A conjuring of light by V E Schwab
- Our dark duet by V E Schwab
- A court of wings and ruin by Sarah J Maas
- The hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan
- The ship of the dead by Rick Riordan
- The heart of betrayal by Mary E Pearson
- The beauty of Darkness by Mary E Pearson
I’m sure there are some other books I need to get too before the year is over, but these are priorities just because I get to finish some series.
Update on The Goals I wrote for 2017:
- Read 40 books – I’ve read 52 so far this year, so. Finished!
- ONLY read books I own (I’m going to attempt to make my TBR bookshelf MUCH smaller) – I’ve managed to keep this up quite well, I’ve gone from 131 books on my TBR shelf down to 101, with bought books included. And of the 50 books I’ve read, 33 of them I didn’t get this year.
- Read 5, buy one. Last year I did read one, buy one and it went better than expected, but since I’m attempting on emptying my TBR shelves as much as I can, I needed to go extreme on this one to keep myself from buying more books than I can read. – I did well until May when I bought 13 books without having read the amount to actually be allowed to get them. I was allowed to get 2 and I read 5 more books to get a third one, so ten of those weren’t included. I still need to read about 32 books to get to buy another book after that binge. But I’m not going to be able to wait until I’ve read them all because there are books I need to get to be able to finish some other goals this year. So I’m already counting this one as a fail.
- Read 5 classics – So far I’ve read 2.
- Read 5 books in Swedish – This one I’m done with. I’ve read 5.
- Read a Children’s Classic – This, I’ve finished too.
This goes with the Read 5, buy one goal. There are a couple of things I’m going to focus on whenever I actually buy books during the year. Since I’ve decided that I need to read five books before I can buy one, the number of books I’m buying is really limited and reserved for a couple of the goals I have for the year.
- Finish 10 series – these are series I started in 2015 or 2016, that I know for sure I’m going to try to finish. (I’m not counting novella collections). Here’s the series I’ve started:
– The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (3 books left to buy)
– Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (3 books left)
Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas (2 books left) – not gonna be done this year since a new book was added.
– Partials by Dan Wells – finished
– Article 5 by Kristen Simmons – finished
– Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo – finished
– Nattens Barn by Benni Bödker (2 books left)
– Under Vintergatans Alla Stjärnor by Camilla Davidsson – finished – although the author added a 4th book to the series this year.
– Red Rising by Pierce Brown (1 book left)
– Lumikki Andersson by Salla Simukka (2 books left)
– Night World by L J Smith (2 binds up left)
– Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson (1 book left) – DNF’d this dulogy or trilogy.
I finished 4 of these and DNF’d one.
- Read the Harry Potter series in English – I still need the last four books in the series, just like the beginning of the year.
- Read 5 books from the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge – If there are a couple of books I don’t own and can’t get from the library I’ll need to buy it/them.
- Don’t start a new series/trilogy if I can’t finish it during the year – There are a few sequels in trilogies or series I don’t have but own the first book off and might need to get if I decide to start reading them during the year, and I know there are a couple of complete duologies I could read if I want to. – So far I’ve started like 10 and I’ve finished exactly 1 of them so far. This is not going well at all
Top 5 books of this year so far
- Before I fall by Lauren Oliver
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V E Schwab
- The Kiss off Deceptions by Mary E Pearson
- Änglarna Dansar i Gryningen by Camilla Davidsson
- The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
Honorable mention: Eldvittnet (The Fire Witness) by Lars Kepler